Wednesday, June 30, 2004
ATLANTA – As a result of increased ticket sales, lottery officials announced today that the Mega Millions jackpot has been raised from $280 million to $290 MILLION for Friday’s (7/2) drawing.
Georgia players won more than $2.2 million in prizes from Tuesday’s (6/29) Mega Millions drawing with eight lucky second prize winners of $175,000 each.
“Larger jackpots are exciting for lottery players,” said Georgia Lottery Corporation President and CEO Margaret DeFrancisco. “Even more exciting is knowing that education in the state of Georgia is the ultimate winner.”
Mega Millions offers players two payment options: 26 annual payments in equal installments or a single check worth the cash value of the estimated jackpot. Any lucky Mega Millions player who matches all five white ball numbers, along with the Mega Ball number, could walk away with over $11.1 million a year (before taxes) for 26 years with the annuity option. Or a player could pre-select the cash option and win a single check worth more than $165 million (before taxes).
Any Georgia Lottery retailer who sells a winning Mega Millions jackpot ticket can earn the $25,000 retailer incentive bonus payment. If more than one winning jackpot ticket is sold in Georgia, the retailers selling the winning tickets will share the $25,000 retailer incentive bonus.
As with all other Georgia Lottery games, proceeds from Mega Millions will benefit education in the state of Georgia. Since its first year, the Georgia Lottery Corporation has returned over $6.5 billion to the state of Georgia for education. All Georgia Lottery profits go to pay for specific educational programs. These include Georgia’s Pre-K Program for four-year-olds; Georgia’s HOPE scholarship program; and a wide range of technological and capital upgrades for the state’s schools, technical institutes, colleges, universities and public libraries.
MEGA MILLIONS FAST FACTS
· The Mega Millions jackpot for Friday, July 2, 2004 is an estimated $290 million (before taxes) to a single winner.
· The annuity amount is approximately $11.1 million a year (before taxes) for 26 years.
· The cash option amount is over $163 million (before taxes).
· The current jackpot is the highest in Mega Millions history and the third highest in Georgia Lottery history.
· The current jackpot began rolling on May 11, 2004 and has rolled 15 times.
· The last Mega Millions jackpot winning ticket was for the drawing on May 7, 2004. The winning ticket for the $66 million jackpot was purchased in New York.
· Mega Millions tickets went on sale May 15, 2002 when The Big Game, established in 1996, became Mega Millions.
· The first Mega Millions drawing was held on May 17, 2002.
· Mega Millions drawings are held live in Atlanta, Ga. every Tuesday and Friday at 11 p.m.
· This Friday’s record-breaking jackpot drawing will be held live at 11 p.m. in Times Square in New York City.
· Georgia winners have 180 days from the draw date to claim their prize.
· Overall odds of winning any Mega Millions prize are approximately 1:43.
· Odds for winning the jackpot prize are approximately 1:135 million.
· Mega Millions states include: Georgia, Virginia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas and Washington state.
· To date, there have been 27 Mega Millions jackpot winners. There have been five Mega Millions jackpot winners in Georgia.
· The largest Mega Millions jackpot was $239 million on February 20, 2004. The winning ticket was purchased in Virginia.
For more information on the Georgia Lottery Corporation and Mega Millions, please visit:
www.galottery.com and www.megamillions.com
Play Responsibly – It’s All About Fun!
Georgia Lottery Corporation
Media Relations Department