Wednesday, November 17, 2004
ATLANTA – Mega Millions continues to roll with the jackpot for Friday’s (11/19) drawing at an estimated$149 MILLION to a single annuity winner. It only takes $1 for a chance to win.
“As the Mega Millions jackpot grows, excitement builds around the state,” said Georgia Lottery President and CEO Margaret DeFrancisco. “Just as exciting for Georgians is knowing that every ticket purchased benefits the educational programs we fund.”
Mega Millions offers players two payment options: 26 annual payments in equal installments or a single check worth the cash value of the estimated jackpot. Any lucky Mega Millions player who matches all five white ball numbers, along with the Mega Ball number, could walk away with over $5.7 million a year (before taxes) for 26 years with the annuity option. Or a player could pre-select the cash option and win a single check worth over $87 million (before taxes).
Any Georgia Lottery retailer who sells a winning Mega Millions jackpot ticket can earn the $25,000 retailer incentive bonus payment. If more than one winning jackpot ticket is sold in Georgia, the retailers selling the winning tickets will share the $25,000 retailer incentive bonus.
MEGA MILLIONS FAST FACTS
· The Mega Millions jackpot for Friday, November 19, 2004 is an estimated $149 million (before taxes) to a single winner.
· The annuity amount is approximately $5.7 million a year (before taxes) for 26 years.
· The cash option amount is over $87 million (before taxes).
· The current jackpot is the seventh highest in Mega Millions history and the 10th highest in Georgia Lottery history.
· The current jackpot began rolling on October 5, 2004 and has rolled 13 times.
· The last Mega Millions winning ticket was for the drawing on October 1, 2004. The winning ticket for the $101 million jackpot was purchased in Texas.
· Mega Millions tickets went on sale May 15, 2002 when The Big Game, established in 1996, became Mega Millions.
· The first Mega Millions drawing was held on May 17, 2002.
· Mega Millions drawings are held live in Atlanta every Tuesday and Friday at 11 p.m.
· Georgia winners have 180 days from the draw date to claim their prize.
· Overall odds of winning any Mega Millions prize are approximately 1:43.
· Odds for winning the jackpot prize are approximately 1:135 million.
· Mega Millions states include: Georgia, Virginia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas and Washington state.
· To date, there have been 32 Mega Millions jackpot winners. There have been five Mega Millions jackpot winners in Georgia.
· The largest Mega Millions jackpot was $294 million on July 2, 2004. The winning ticket was purchased in Massachusetts.
· The largest Georgia Lottery jackpot was when The Big Game reached $363 million for the drawing on May 9, 2000. The winning tickets were purchased in Illinois and Michigan.
As with all other Georgia Lottery games, proceeds from Mega Millions will benefit education in the state of Georgia. Since its first year, the Georgia Lottery Corporation has returned over $7 billion to the state of Georgia for education. All Georgia Lottery profits go to pay for specific educational programs. These include Georgia’s HOPE scholarship program; a statewide, voluntary pre-kindergarten program for four-year-olds; and a wide range of technological and capital upgrades for the state’s schools, technical institutes, colleges, universities and public libraries.
For more information, please visit the Media Center on the GLC Web site at:
Play Responsibly – It’s All About Fun!
Georgia Lottery Corporation
Media Relations Department