ATLANTA – Mega Millions keeps growing by leaps and bounds. Georgia Lottery officials announced today that tonight’s (Feb. 28) Mega Millions jackpot has been increased from $256 million to an estimated $267 MILLION to a single annuity winner. It only takes $1 for a chance to win big.
“With tickets selling at a mega pace, we have bumped the Mega Millions jackpot,” said Georgia Lottery Corporation President and CEO Margaret DeFrancisco. “The increased sales will generate even more dollars for HOPE scholars and Pre-K students in Georgia.”
Mega Millions offers players two payment options: 26 annual payments in equal installments or a single check worth the cash value of the estimated jackpot. Any lucky Mega Millions player who matches all five white ball numbers, along with the Mega Ball number, could walk away with approximately $10.2 million a year (before taxes) for 26 years with the annuity option. Or a player could pre-select the cash option and win a single check worth over $159 million (before taxes).
Any Georgia Lottery retailer who sells a winning Mega Millions jackpot ticket can earn the $25,000 retailer incentive bonus payment. If more than one winning jackpot ticket is sold in Georgia, the retailers selling the winning tickets will share the $25,000 retailer incentive bonus.
MEGA MILLIONS FUN FACTS
Draw Date: February 28, 2006
Jackpot Amount: $267 million
Annuity Amount: More than $10.2 million/year for 26 years (before taxes)
Cash Option Amount: Approximately $159 million (before taxes)
Date Jackpot Began Rolling: January 10, 2006
Number of Rolls: 14
Last Winning Ticket: January 6, 2006 - $15 million (Ohio)
Mega Millions Rank: #3
Georgia Lottery Rank: #5
#1 Mega Millions Jackpot: November 15, 2005 - $315 million (California)
#1 Georgia Lottery Jackpot: The Big Game - May 9, 2000 - $363 million (Illinois & Michigan)
• Mega Millions tickets went on sale May 15, 2002 when The Big Game, established in 1996, became Mega Millions.
• The first Mega Millions drawing was held on May 17, 2002.
• Mega Millions drawings are held live in Atlanta every Tuesday and Friday at 11 p.m. (EST)
• Georgia winners have 180 days from the draw date to claim their prize.
• Overall odds of winning any Mega Millions prize are approximately 1:40.
• Odds for winning the jackpot prize are approximately 1:175 million.
• Mega Millions states include: Georgia, Virginia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas, Washington state and California.
• To date, there have been 45 Mega Millions jackpot winners.
• There have been six Mega Millions jackpot winners in Georgia.
• Georgia Lottery players can win $250,000 by matching the first five winning numbers.
• Since July 1, 2005, Georgia Lottery players have won $12.75 million with the quarter-million dollar second prize.
GEORGIA LOTTERY TOP JACKPOTS
#1 5/9/00 The Big Game $363,000,000 Illinois; Michigan
#2 4/16/02 The Big Game $331,000,000 Dacula, Georgia; Illinois; New Jersey
#3 11/15/05 Mega Millions $315,000,000 California
#4 7/2/04 Mega Millions $294,000,000 Massachusetts
#5 2/28/2006 Mega Millions $267,000,000 CURRENT JACKPOT
#6 9/16/05 Mega Millions $258,000,000 New Jersey
#7 2/20/04 Mega Millions $239,000,000 Virginia
#8 4/22/05 Mega Millions $208,000,000 Michigan
#9 4/6/99 The Big Game $197,000,000 Massachusetts
#10 6/20/03 Mega Millions $180,000,000 Maryland
As with all other Georgia Lottery games, proceeds from Mega Millions will benefit education in the state of Georgia. Since its first year, the Georgia Lottery Corporation has returned over $8 billion to the state of Georgia for education. All Georgia Lottery profits go to pay for specific educational programs including Georgia's HOPE Scholarship Program and Georgia's Prekindergarten Program. More than 900,000 students have received HOPE Scholarships, and more than 700,000 4-year-olds have attended the statewide, voluntary prekindergarten program.
For more information, please visit the Media Center on the GLC Web site at:
Play Responsibly – It’s All About Fun!
Georgia Lottery Corporation
Media Relations Department