ATLANTA – Spring is here, and Mega Millions is in full bloom. The jackpot for Tuesday's (Apr. 4) drawing is an estimated $138 MILLION to a single annuity winner. It only takes $1 for a chance to win big.
"It's the most fun a dollar can buy," said Georgia Lottery Corporation President and CEO Margaret DeFrancisco. "Georgians all over the state are enjoying the excitement of our mega jackpot, and Georgia's students will benefit greatly with every ticket you purchase."
Mega Millions offers players two payment options: 26 annual payments in equal installments or a single check worth the cash value of the estimated jackpot. Any lucky Mega Millions player who matches all five white ball numbers, along with the Mega Ball number, could walk away with approximately $5.3 million a year (before taxes) for 26 years with the annuity option. Or a player could pre-select the cash option and win a single check worth approximately $79 million (before taxes).
Any Georgia Lottery retailer who sells a winning Mega Millions jackpot ticket can earn the $25,000 retailer incentive bonus payment. If more than one winning jackpot ticket is sold in Georgia, the retailers selling the winning tickets will share the $25,000 retailer incentive bonus.
MEGA MILLIONS FUN FACTS
Draw Date: April 4, 2006
Jackpot Amount: $138 MILLION
Annuity Amount: More than $5.3 million/year for 26 years (before taxes)
Cash Option Amount: Approximately $79 million (before taxes)
Date Jackpot Began Rolling: March 3, 2006
Number of Rolls: 9
Last Winning Ticket: February 28, 2006 - $267 million (Ohio)
Mega Millions Rank: N/A
Georgia Lottery Rank: N/A
#1 Mega Millions Jackpot: November 15, 2005 - $315 million (California)
#1 Georgia Lottery Jackpot: The Big Game - May 9, 2000 - $363 million (Illinois & Michigan)
· Mega Millions tickets went on sale May 15, 2002 when The Big Game, established in 1996, became Mega Millions.
· The first Mega Millions drawing was held on May 17, 2002.
· Mega Millions drawings are held live in Atlanta every Tuesday and Friday at 11 p.m. (EST)
· Georgia winners have 180 days from the draw date to claim their prize.
· Overall odds of winning any Mega Millions prize are approximately 1:40.
· Odds for winning the jackpot prize are approximately 1:175 million.
· Mega Millions states include: Georgia, Virginia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Texas, Washington state and California.
· To date, there have been 46 Mega Millions jackpot winners.
· There have been six Mega Millions jackpot winning tickets purchased in Georgia.
· Georgia Lottery players can win $250,000 by matching the first five winning numbers.
· Since July 1, 2005, Georgia Lottery players have won $13.75 million with the quarter-million dollar second prize.
GEORGIA LOTTERY TOP JACKPOTS
#1 5/9/00 The Big Game $363,000,000 Illinois; Michigan
#2 4/16/02 The Big Game $331,000,000 Dacula, Georgia; Illinois; New Jersey
#3 11/15/05 Mega Millions $315,000,000 California
#4 7/2/04 Mega Millions $294,000,000 Massachusetts
#5 2/28/06 Mega Millions $267,000,000 Ohio
#6 9/16/05 Mega Millions $258,000,000 New Jersey
#7 2/20/04 Mega Millions $239,000,000 Virginia
#8 4/22/05 Mega Millions $208,000,000 Michigan
#9 4/6/99 The Big Game $197,000,000 Massachusetts
#10 6/20/03 Mega Millions $183,000,000 Maryland
As with all other Georgia Lottery games, proceeds from Mega Millions will benefit education in the state of Georgia. Since its first year, the Georgia Lottery Corporation has returned over $8 billion to the state of Georgia for education. All Georgia Lottery profits go to pay for specific educational programs including Georgia's HOPE Scholarship Program and Georgia's Prekindergarten Program. More than 900,000 students have received HOPE Scholarships, and more than 700,000 4-year-olds have attended the statewide, voluntary prekindergarten program.
For more information, please visit the Media Center on the GLC Web site at:
Play Responsibly – It’s All About Fun!
Georgia Lottery Corporation
Media Relations Department